Forbes found a record 2,208 billionaires, collectively worth $9.1 trillion. Among them are 259 newcomers who made their fortunes in everything from wedding dresses to children’s toys to electric cars.
1 Jeff Bezos — CEO and Founder, Amazon.com
REAL-TIME NET WORTH
as of 8/16/18
2018 BILLIONAIRES NET WORTH
- Amazon's chief Jeff Bezos is the first person with a net worth surpassing $150 billion in the 3 decades that Forbes has tracked the richest Americans.
- He owns 16% of e-commerce colossus Amazon, which he founded in a garage in Seattle in 1994.
- Bezos attended Princeton and worked at a hedge fund before quitting to sell books online.
- His other passion is space travel: His aerospace company, Blue Origin, is developing a reusable rocket that Bezos says will carry passengers.
- Bezos purchased The Washington Post in 2013 for $250 million.
SOURCE OF WEALTH Amazon.com, Self Made
SELF-MADE SCORE 8
RESIDENCE Seattle, Washington
CITIZENSHIP United States
MARITAL STATUS Separated
EDUCATION Bachelor of Arts/Science, Princeton University
DID YOU KNOW?
Growing up, Jeff Bezos worked summers on his grandfather's ranch repairing Caterpillar tractors.
Bezos met Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin in 1998 and managed to become one of the company's first angel investors, putting in $250,000.